Did you know that scent can powerfully affect your emotions? Out of all five senses, our sense of smell is the only one directly linked to the limbic system in the brain, our emotional control center. What this means is that scent can impact not just emotion, but the body’s physical response to it. Mood matters.
“A merry heart does good, like medicine, but a broken spirit dries the bones.” (Proverbs 17:22)
Your Nose Knows!
When our nose detects a scent, it means that tiny molecules have evaporated from an object and entered the nose. Sincean essential oil is volatile (it basically evaporates at room temperature), its molecules literally leap into the air!
When we inhale essential oils (or anything else), these molecules travel up through our nostrils sending messages to the olfactory system through receptors. The receptors in turn transfer the information from these molecules to the brain. This results in our “sense of smell.”
Memories are Powerful!
The olfactory bulb, which is part of the limbic system, captures information through the sense of smell, helping to record a memory. That’s why you can walk into an antique store and have flashbacks of your grandma’s house; or smell acertain perfume and it reminds you of someone from your childhood or a memory from your wedding day.
Because of this, and the powerful nature of essential oils, many researchers believe that essential oils can be extremely helpful to those sorting through past memories.
Fearfully and Wonderfully Made!
What happens when you’re stressed? There is an actual, measurable, physical response to it. Stress and anxious feelings are known to sap our energy, affect our skin, aggravate our muscles and nerves, disrupt digestion, affect our sleep, and make us prone to all sorts of negativity. So relax and stop stressing!
Since the limbic system is directly connected to the parts of the brain that control heart rate, digestion, blood pressure, breathing, stress levels, sexual arousal, and hormone balance, the use of therapeutic grade essential oils in our daily lives can have profound overall effects on our general well-being.
Mama Said There’d be Days Like This
When I’m working through a conflict or struggling with a spiritual issue, I often diffuse and apply frankincense, vetiver, or Neroli, and find a quiet spot alone for reflexion. This helps me to focus while I seek God through His Word and prayer.
Obviously, true spiritual healing and forgiveness come only through Jesus Christ, but we all know that negative emotions often cause physical symptoms. Our emotions are part of our physical make up, so it makes sense that essential oils are a benefit to us!
Essential oils help to set a good mood! Our thoughts matter – they affect us physically and spiritually!
“Thoughts are real, physical things that occupy mental real estate. Moment by moment, every day, you are changing the structure of your brain through your thinking.” ― Caroline Leaf,
In other words, essential oils simply support the body’s natural functions! They help the body to do what it’s already designed by God to do – harmonize!
A Well Oiled Machine!
A lifestyle change that includes supplementation, deliberate relaxation, and clean thinking may be exactly what you need to rejuvenate your health! Thankfully, Young Living has many products that will help support your efforts! And I can even help you get wholesale prices, as well as earn points for FREE products!
The following is a list of just a few Young Living Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils and supplements that I recommend!
Bergamot – Relaxing qualities and an amazing scent – especially when mixed with frankincense! Diffuse in a room with a comfortable chair and enjoy!
Frankincense – This oil just makes me happy! Frankincense contains sesquiterpenes, which stimulate the limbic system of the brain. Create a safe and comforting environment when you diffuse or inhale this empowering oil—a perfect opportunity to collect your thoughts. When you seek purpose or engage in prayer or meditate on God’s Word, use this oil to enhance your experience.
Neroli – A powerfully relaxing scent used to calm, uplift, and help one sort through emotions. And add a drop to your evening moisturizer to enjoy radiant skin the next morning!
Vetiver – See if this doesn’t help little Johnny pay attention! Rub a drop on the back of his neck or on the bottoms of his feet before school. Moms love this oil for their kids and for themselves too!
In fact, vetiver is a great choice for mom to use during the weeks after childbirth! And a great one to help her cope better during stressful days or to get over upsetting events. Best used with a roller ball, since this oil is viscous (super thick!).
Lemon, Tangerine, and Orange – Happy oils!
Spikenard – Encourages a good night’s sleep and helps calm edgy feelings. This oils was poured on the feet of Jesus during a potentially stressful time.
Valerian – Encourages calm feelings and restful sleep.
Ylang Ylang – Relaxing (yet also arousing) scent often associated with romance and emotional bonding
Inner Child – This blend encourages your mind and body to prayerfully deal with unresolved issues.
Peace & Calming – The name says it all!
Sara – Helps to productively deal with past issues.
Stress Away – Promotes rest and relaxation.
Tranquil – Contains lavender, cedarwood, and chamomile. All three of these oils have been well documented in helping to induce relaxation.
Trauma Life – This blend aids the body’s normal response to stress and helps you deal with it by promoting a healthy emotional perspective.
The Reconnect Kit – This is a powerful emotional bonding tool. Great for use while building strong, healthy relationships.
Feelings Kit – Blends that focus specifically on the emotions.
In addition to using essential oils, be sure to take care of your body in other ways:
- Get enough sleep!
- Drink plenty of water.
- Spend time each day in prayer and reading Scripture
- Eat a balanced diet
- Avoid processed food, white flour, white sugar, MSG, food dyes, preservatives, and other harmful chemicals
- Detoxify your home – and try the essential oil-infused Thieves cleaning products instead.
- Have your progesterone levels checked. Sometimes hormone imbalances are the source of emotional upheaval
- Take a good multivitamin supplement like Master Formula
- Make sure you’re getting enough Vitamin D and Vitamin C (I recommend plenty of sunshine, the Orthomolecular brand of Vitamin D-3, and Super C.
- Use Mineral Essence (a balanced, full-spectrum ionic mineral complex enhanced with essential oils)
- Use Essentialzyme 4 (enzymes) as well as Life 9 (probiotic) after meals and at bedtime. Good gut health is crucial!
- Use Super B (a comprehensive vitamin complex containing 8 essential and energy-boosting B vitamins: B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B7, B9, and B12.
- Use OmegaGize (an omega3, DHA-rich fish oil complex) daily. Also contains Vitamin D-3.
- Drink 2-6 oz. NingXia Red per day
- Sulfurzyme, taken daily, combines wolfberry with MSM, a naturally occurring organic form of dietary sulfur needed by our bodies.
- Support normal adrenal function! When under stress, the body produces cortisol. When cortisol is produced too frequently, it can have negative health consequences.If that’s the case, you may want to add Cortistop, a dietary supplement designed to help the body maintain its natural balance and harmony.
- Support normal thyroid function! Mine was underperforming and I didn’t even know it. Thyromin helps to support normal thyroid function. The endocrine system works synergistically, so if one thing is off, it can throw everything off! Read more HERE.
I only recommend Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils, since lower quality oils do not have the same constituents and may actually be toxic.