Did you know that the Vitality line of oils was specifically labeled for use as dietary supplements? That means that we can use them in food and drink or even make our own capsules using them! Taking oils internally can be a huge boost when it comes to our health. Here are all the things you need to know about making your own capsules!
WHY MAKE YOUR OWN CAPSULES You can get a lot of benefits of essential oils by ingesting them.
Making capsules can help with daily needs such as digestion, respiratory health and more. The same way you would take an herbal supplement, you can make your own with Young Living Vitality oils.
This is also a huge benefit when it comes to acute needs! We are still big fans of applying and diffusing oils, but sometimes ingesting can get us closer to our goals more quickly.
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE CAPSULES Making your own capsules is really a very simple process, and you only need to have a few things on hand:
- Carrier oil (coconut, olive or avocado is great!)
- Glass dropper bottles (optional for easy filling)
Some of our favorite oils for making capsules are:
- DiGize Vitality for digestion needs
- Lavender, Lemon & Peppermint Vitality for seasonal air quality issues
- Copaiba Vitality for soothing tension and inflammation
- Thieves, Lemon & Oregano Vitality (alone or in combo) for immune support
- EndoFlex Vitality for hormone and endocrine support
- JuvaFlex Vitality for liver support Note: Vitality and non-Vitality oils are the exact same pure essential oils; they are just labeled differently to comply with labeling regulations.
HOW TO MAKE CAPSULES The actual process of making capsules is really simple! If you’re just starting out, a few drops of essential oil and a little carrier oil is usually enough. Just grab your empty capsules, essential oils and carrier oil, and follow this process:
- Separate the empty capsule into two parts. One side will be a bit longer than the other.
- Use the long side to drop a few drops of essential oil(s) (or however many you desire) into the capsule.
- Add a few drops of carrier oil as desired into the capsule.
- Add the top piece back onto the capsule, pushing gently until you feel it pop into place.
- Use as you would any other supplement!
WHEN TO MAKE CAPSULES You can make your capsules just before ingesting them, or if you prefer, there are a couple ways you can pre-make your capsules. This is a good option if you’re using them multiple times a day (during pollen season!) or every day (great for digestive needs).
One option for making capsules ahead of time is to make them as listed above and freeze them! We like to keep them in an old supplement bottle or in a glass freezer container, just make sure to label it somehow.
You can also make a pre-mixed blend in a dropper top glass bottle, then make individual capsules daily or as needed. This is a good option when using multiple oils like the seasonal blend of Lavender, Lemon and Peppermint or for daily support of specific health areas (digestion, liver, etc). Note that this option won’t be quite as exact in measurements of drops of individual oils as you are mixing the oils into a bigger bottle, but it’s an easy option and great for travel.
No matter which method you choose, making your own capsules is a simple process and can be a huge boost to your health!